A tampon is a feminine hygiene product. It is basically used to absorb the menstrual flow in women during their periods when you insert it into the vagina during menstruation cycle. It works like a sponge; you need to insert it correctly, and after that, it is held in space by the vaginal muscles. As it soaks up the blood, it expands. Tampons are usually made up of rayon, or a blend of rayon and cotton. There are various absorbency ratings in the case of tampons.
Tampons have been used by mankind for thousands of years. The ancient Egyptians used it, and so did the women in ancient Rome.
Statistically speaking, if a woman uses only tampons, she would need approximately 11,000 of them in their lifetime.
Tampons are also identified as medical devices in many countries. For example, the US classifies them as a Class II medical devices, as per the US FDA.
Tampons are one of the most user-friendly period protection tools. It serves as a great alternative to bulky menstrual pads. But, women in India are yet to warm up to the concept of tampons. Overall, may women are still quite wary of inserting something inside their body and prefer to use sanitary pads. But once you get used to tampons, they offer certain advantages that sanitary napkins cannot.
If you are looking for an alternative to sanitary pads, tampons can offer your great value.
Tampons Buying Guide – What to Check?
There is some basic stuff you need to check before buying your tampons. At first, buying tampons can be tricky. This is because it’s something that enters your body, and you don’t know which category will be the most suitable for you.
Here are some things that you might keep in mind when you go to buy your tampons:
According to your flow, you should use any one of the four sizes available: light, regular, super and super plus. Its trial and error to get to the size that will actually suit you. If it’s too tight, you probably need a smaller size. If your tampon is leaking while you’re jogging in the park, you may need a larger size.
Stem or applicator
The tampon applicators or stems can be of either plastic or cardboard. Another type involves no stem at all, and you need to go all the way with your fingers. Which one suits you the best is again something that you’ve got to find out for yourself, by trying out all types.
A brand can make a difference, based on your preference. It’s not advisable to go for the cheapest tampon in the market. It is, after all, something that you enter into your body, and it needs to be of good quality. If you trust a particular brand, you could start by using it. Once you get accustomed to the use of tampons, you could try out a few other brands.
All of these are important considerations when you buy tampons, but you need to try them out first in order to know.
Best Buy Tampons Online in India
1. B. Pro Comfort Tampons
In India, they come in packets of 20, 30 and 40. With their superior technology of locked-in leak protection, you can be assured of great quality. They are made from highly absorbent fibers and use the ‘curved grooves technology’ for reliable protection.
It has a ‘silk touch’ cover so that you face no trouble during insertion at any point in time. Designed by a female gynecologist, someone who knows what menstruation is all about, it is ideally shaped for a natural and comfortable fit. It is especially useful in case of regular flow.
- With attributes like twist opening, It makes sure that you get that seamless tampon experience every time.
- With O.B pro comfort, you won’t even feel like you are wearing tampons.
- With no stem or applicator attached, it also takes care of the environment in its own way, by reducing waste.
2. Playtex Gentle Tampons
It is the ideal tampon for the sportswoman of today. With its built-in unique 3600 design and patented ‘FlexFit’ technology, the tampon can move in your body, exactly at your rhythm, as you move, twist and turn.
Whatever be your choice of activity, be it running, swimming, baseball, football or biking, this tampon is the perfect supplement to what you need on the days of your periods. It does not involve any colorants or dyes, and hence prevents any itching or irritation that might be caused by them due to allergic reactions. It is also free from bisphenol A (BPA free), for your added comfort.
- With its superior absorbing power due to the powerful fibers used, you can be sure of no leakage. So you can go ahead with your day and do all the things that you had planned, without a care in the world.
3. Bella Tampon Super Easy Twist Tampons
Bella Tampons are one of the most comfortable solutions for protection during your periods. It is a great choice for every modern girl and woman. It is made with the best quality fibers and is covered with cottony, soft and non-woven stem for a very easy and safe insert.
It is not only good in case of low activity, but it has also been proven to provide excellent service even during physical activities like biking, swimming, jogging or playing sports. A distinct benefit that it provides is that you can also use it while bathing, and while using the toilet.
There is no need to remove it in each of these cases. It comes with a guarantee of no slipping out of a tampon or leakage, and it is absolutely true.
- It usually comes in packs of 16.
- With the superior twist technology, it ensures that even novices can open the tampons very easily and use it with no trouble at all.
4. Sofy Tampon Regular Tampons
It is one of the most comfortable tampons available in India right now. It guarantees freedom from wetness, leakage and discomfort, which is very important to people who do not want wetness inside their underwear.
It is laced with superior Japanese technology, ‘Unicharm’, which further improves its performance. It provides long-lasting absorbency, up to 8 hours, so you don’t need to worry about changing tampons every now and then.
- It comes in packs of 34.
- With an in-built applicator, it makes sure that nobody faces any trouble using it – both novices and regular users.
- The applicator has a rounded tip and also attached is a string, for easy removal. They are made in Japan, and hence the market price is a bit higher than most of its competitors.
5. Floh Tampons Super Tampons
These are one of the best tampons available in India right now. The stem is made of plastic and has a very well-rounded tip for easy insertion into the vagina. It promises 8 hours of protection against the menstrual flow, which means you do not have to keep changing tampons very frequently.
Its main advantage is, once its inside, it takes the shape of your vaginal canal, and doesn’t slip outside unless you pull it out, due to its unique rolled bullet shape.
One of the few tampons in India that are US FDA approved, it guarantees great absorbency and quality that you don’t have to worry about. It is very good in case you’re looking for some physical activity as well. It ensures there’s no leak, and helps you never to miss out on any fun.
- It usually comes in packs of 10
- It is very useful in case of heavy flows.
6. Sirona Premium Digital Tampons
A unique brand of tampons available in India, it comes in packs of 20 and 40. It is made from 100% viscose fibers that ensure that you get the highest absorbency while using this. Equipped with a smooth cover, and a well-rounded tip of stem for easy insertion, it also contains strings at the end, so that it can be easily pulled out.
It promises a highly discreet presence, and zero leakage, and ensures that there is no pungent smell. Its superior quality ensures that it is comfortable, and does not cause any allergic reaction like rashes or itching.
- It is highly recommended in the case of all types of flows and is also US FDA approved.
- It is also very useful if you wish to partake in sports or jogging, and assures zero leakage even in case of extreme physical activity.
7. Natracare Organic Tampons
A very user-friendly tampon brand that is available in India, it is absolutely perfume and chlorine-free. It ensures that you do not have to fall prey to itching or rashes or any other allergic reaction.
Usually, it comes in packs of 20 and is made of cotton. Cotton fibers are better than rayon at withstanding wear and tear, and hence it’s superior quality. Also, the cotton used is bleached in an eco-friendliest way, that doesn’t create any harmful residues. With smooth and easy-to-glide cardboard stems, it assures that you will have no trouble whatsoever inserting it into your vagina.
- With a variety of tampons offering a remedy for the various stages of menstruation like onset, medium flow and heavy flow, this is a brand that caters to all of your needs.
- It does not contain any plastic or rayon, showing that it’s a brand with a conscience.
8. Tampax Tampons Super Plus Tampons
A very good quality tampon currently available in the Indian market, it guarantees an 8-hour protection period. It comes with a stem that is well-rounded and equipped with a string so that you face no difficulty while removal.
It is free of perfume and chlorine-bleaching, rendering it free from causing any rashes or itching. One of the few brands that have been clinically tested on humans, it has been scientifically proven to be gentle on skin.
- Equipped with a unique ‘LeakGuard Skirt’, it helps to stop leaks even before they happen.
- Its ‘Anti-slip’ grip ensures you can insert it in your vagina with the utmost ease.
- Laced with the latest ‘FormFit’ technology, it takes the shape of your vaginal canal once inserted, so that it is snugly fit in, with no chance of falling off.
- It is usually available in the market in packs of 20.
9. Masmi Chlorine-Free Natural Cotton Tampons
One of the best tampons available in India, it comes in packs of 18. It is made with a 100% cotton core, that is made in an eco-friendly manner, which ensures that there is no chemical residue like dioxin. This helps prevent any rashes or allergic reactions in the skin.
These tampons are directly imported from Spain and are manufactured by upholding the highest standards of quality and purity. It has a unique special security veil that covers the absorbent cotton core so that fibers are stuck inside the vagina during the removal process. All of the cotton are made from certified organic cotton, which makes its quality stand out even with so many competitors.
- It has also been clinically tested and proven to be very gentle on the skin.
- It is clearly one of the best choices of tampons currently available in the Indian market.
10. Pee Safe Organic Cotton Tampons
One of the few tampons available in India crafted from 100% original cotton, this is a brand that commands quality. Unlike most other brands, it does not contain ingredients like viscose, making it a superior product.
These tampons are extra-soft, designed to be the most comfortable and are totally biodegradable, which is a very unique quality it has. It guarantees to fit you snugly as your perfect size and promises 100% stain protection.
It is one of the few brands that has been clinically tested and scientifically proven to be very gentle on the skin. It is free from harmful ingredients like dyes and chlorine and ensures that you have a gentle and alluring experience with the tampon.
- No matter your activity level, this tampon guarantees no leakage, whether you are running, jogging, swimming or playing sports.
- Usually, these tampons come in packs of 16. Due to its biodegradability, it can also be called as a brand that cares for the environment.
Benefits of using a Tampon
A tampon can offer you a great many benefits. They have got some distinct advantages over sanitary napkins when it comes to menstrual cycles. Here are some of the things that tampons do:
1. Keeps your menstrual cycle discreet
It’s the 21st You should not have to hide your period from anyone. But the thing is, you may personally be uncomfortable with the cycle and want to keep it under the wraps. After all, it is something very personal. In this respect, tampons are way better than pads about being discreet.
For starters, they are much smaller than pads. You could probably fit in 10 tampons in the space for one sanitary pad. So, if you face any trouble trying to smuggle a sanitary pad to the toilet to wear, you could check out tampons the next time.
2. You can’t feel it
Periods can be painful enough. Apart from the continuous, throbbing pain of menstruation that you feel, no one needs a second reminder that they’re on their period. And that’s exactly what a tampon offers. Its magical and its bliss when you use a tampon. You’ll feel like nothing’s happened. Just put it in your vagina, and forget about it.
3. No stain, only gain
When you use sanitary pads, they usually cover most of your underwear. Yet the absorbent capacity is not increased; it soaks up what it can. Some blood can inadvertently flow down your vagina and stain your underwear. There’s also a typical pungent smell associated with it.
However, with tampons, there is no such worry. The absorbent capacity of tampons right inside the vagina ensures that no blood escapes the vagina canal, let alone staining the underwear. Hence, no stain, no smell, and only gains!
4. Keeps you dry
There are a lot of us who get squeamish about the prospect of touching or seeing blood. If you’re someone that’s absolutely terrified of seeing blood come out of your vagina, tampons are the perfect choice for you. Tampons ensure no blood comes out of your vagina stem and promises a dry, warm interior of your underwear that will keep you happy. So, even if you take a peek inside, what you find won’t make you puke!
5. Keep burning the calories
Your periods are something you can’t do anything about. But does that mean no physical activities? Well, it shouldn’t. You should not have to compromise your fitness regime during ‘those days’.
However, if you are using pads, you will find that they don’t support you in your physical endeavors during those days. It has a high percentage of leaking and may ruin your jogging trackers. What’s more, it can be easily spotted by someone else. On the other hand, tampons are ideal for activities such as running, yoga and swimming, as they ensure you don’t leak.
How to use a Tampon Properly?
The first and foremost thing to do before trying to insert a tampon is relaxing. You need to relax all your muscles for the best effect. Always keep in mind, when you are using it for the first time, it’s bound to have some error, and nerves are common. It takes a few tries before people start to get it right.
A tampon consists of two parts
- The part that you insert it into the body
- The plastic stem you need to use to insert it, and strings attached to the end of it
Tips on how to use a tampon correctly
- Before you start, wash your hands with soap and water. The tampon will enter your body, so you don’t want any chance of infection
- Ensure you are relaxed. Head into the toilet, and sit with your knees apart. You can also stand with your legs apart. You should check which position makes you comfortable
- Place the stem of the tampon at the tip of your vagina. Now, push it inside your vagina, and try to keep a 45-degree angle
- Continue pushing until your fingers touch the tip of the vagina
- By this time, only the strings attached to the stem should be outside your body
- If you feel discomfort, chances are you haven’t been able to insert it properly. Once you’ve inserted it properly, it should ideally not cause any pain. If you feel like you have got it wrong, or the discomfort persists, take it out, and repeat all the above processes
- If you have a heavy flow or plan to use it and leave it there for a long time, it’s good to go with ‘super’ or ‘super plus’ sizes
- Technically, it’s a good practice to change tampons at every six to eight hours of interval
- You don’t necessarily have to remove your tampon every time you visit the washroom. It’s more of a personal choice than a necessity with tampons
By following these steps properly, you’ll always go right with tampons.
How To Remove a Tampon Safely?
Tampons can get easy to use and remove, once you get familiar with it. At the outset, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, however. But there is no need to worry.
Here are a few steps to follow when you want to remove your tampons:
- After use, you can pull the tampon out by using the strings
- The tampon should come out quite easily
- After use, you should not dispose of a tampon in just any waste bin
- Don’t dispose of tampons in the toilet. Flushing them down may affect and create problems for plumbing systems
- Tampons deal with biological components of the body and hence should be treated as bio-waste
- Wrap the tampon in paper and dispose of in mandated waste bins
- Make sure to wash your hands after you’ve used a tampon
- Understand, it’s quite okay to feel a little jittery at the beginning. It will get better and better, once you get the hang of it
Tampons Side Effects, Risks and Safety tips
Tampons are inserted into the body, and thus must be handled with care. Although they are safe to use, it’s necessary and important to keep a tab on things. There may be certain instances of side-effects and risks from the use of tampons. Let’s discuss some of them.
Side-effects and risks
- Using it for longer times can cause the growth of bacteria on the vaginal walls
- A particular risk and potential side-effect of wearing tampons for longer periods of time is ‘Toxic Shock Syndrome’. It is a rare disease, caused by an amalgamation of bacteria. It can cause organ damage to the liver, heart and kidney. It can also lead to shock, and in severe cases, may lead to death
- A side-effect may be vaginal wall irritation or discomfort. This is more prone to occur in women who do not change the tampons frequently. It can lead to burning sensation and rashes as well
- Sometimes, extended use of tampons can cause sudden fever (1020 F), vomiting, diarrhea or fainting. Monitor yourself properly to identify these
- There may be an allergic reaction sometimes
- Do not keep tampons lying around, and never use an unclean tampon. Always make sure it is absolutely clean
- Always use FDA regulated tampons. If you are using in India, make sure it is regulated by either FDA or the CDSCO
- Change tampons every 6-8 hours
- Avoid wearing tampons for extended periods of times
- Only use tampons when you have periods. Do not use in at any other time
- Do not use tampons when you go to sleep. In such a case, a better practice is removing the tampon and using a sanitary pad
- Use the lowest absorbency tampon that you need
- Never try anything on your own. Always follow all instructions on the label
Overall, once you take to tampons, it’s very hard to ditch it in favor of something else like sanitary napkins. The benefits of tampons are abundant, and the risks few and far in between.
The taboo of inserting something into the body is still widely prevalent and is a cause of the low use of tampons even today. Once the idea of how useful tampons can pervade society, its acceptance will increase.
Tampons can be highly convenient for the women who use them and can go a long way in freeing women from the various hardships that they face every month related to menstruation.