Hitting the gym on a daily basis is not everyone’s cup of tea. Most of us are stuck between work and personal life and we don’t have time to hit the gym. So, it is always better to get a good set of dumbbells to avoid this problem and meet your fitness goals without visiting the gym every day.
However, it is not easy to choose the right set of dumbbells to meet your needs as there are plenty of options out there. You can wither go for cap dumbbells or traditional ones, or even go on the high side as per your needs.
In case you don’t know, dumbbells are actually heavy objects used in weight lifting and you can use them in pairs or solo on workout sessions. There are two different origins based on the use of dumbbell during the same period, i.e. India and ancient Greece. Usually, it was known as a club in India and it has been used by bodybuilders, wrestlers, athletes, and others who want to be physically fit.
Dumbbells are known to be the best ways to work out at home and ditch the expensive gym membership if you are focused enough to stay in shape.
You can buy a set or use it in a home along with regular cardio exercise and combine it with a healthy diet to improve metabolism.
Types of Dumbbells
Basically, there are three types of dumbbells. Since the 17th century, the most common shape of a dumbbell is the one that can carry two similar weights on either side.
1. Adjustable Dumbbells
This dumbbell comes with metal bars which have rough pattern in the center portion to improve the firmer grip of users or athletes. You can change the weight of this type of dumbbell. You can add more weight or remove and secure them with collars or clips to hold them. Spinlock dumbbell is a common example of this type of dumbbell.
One thing you should keep in mind about spinlock dumbbell is its threaded ends so you can add large nuts as clips. You can also secure the dumbbell with traditional methods.
It can be a dumbbell with a smooth edge and it can have sprung collars. Well, there are other easier ways to adjust the dumbbell weight with some innovative methods.
2. Fixed Weight Dumbbells
This type of dumbbell is the weight that has been shaped like a dumbbell. It has weight mentioned in kg and it can be made of cast iron coated with either rubber or neoprene to prevent its harshness on hands. Manufacturers also use rubber which is filled with concrete and it can be used as an affixed option.
There are different subtypes in these main types of dumbbells, which vary by shape, design, and material they have-
- Rubber – This type of coating has been used in a head cast. These are strong materials and can easily be dropped without causing damage to the floors. Rubber also serves as an outer protective coating that can avoid chips and scratches on the floor. It also has sleeker, better look in a public gym.
- Urethane – These are the next common type like rubber dumbbells. The common difference is that Urethane is considered stronger as compared to rubber. It is also costly. But the best thing is that it doesn’t cause a rubbery smell.
- Hex – Buying hex dumbbell is usually more affordable than urethane and rubber. Hex material is known for its unusual non-rolling size. It is usually made of materials like robust cast iron. They are also ideal for workout circuits based on floors as they don’t slide or roll when they are dropped. It is also easier to switch weights. However, they can have impact damage and they can wear out and rust. But, hex design makes it easier to store if you don’t have a dumbbell rack.
3. Selectorized Dumbbell
This type of dumbbell is often used with adjustable dumbbells as they are pretty similar. The only difference is that you can adjust the weights of these dumbbells when resting in the stand. Instead of manual, it is automated. You have to punch in some plates which should follow it when lifted.
It is quite easier and you can work out on your muscles more than anything else. It also helps store the plates which are not in use currently for a specific session.
Best Dumbbells For Home & Gym In India
1. Kore DM Hexa Combo16 Dumbbell Kits
Kore DM Hexa Combo16 Dumbbell kit is a perfect combo of workout equipment for your home gym. It is very long-lasting and durable and ideal equipment for building muscles. The set contains 2 Hexa dumbbells of 5kg each. It is made of high quality and durable material. If you are looking for affordable and quality dumbbells, you should go for it. It has a comfortable handle grip so weights will be equal on both sides.
For easy grip, this dumbbell has nice ridged handles. It also provides a great supporting grip with a hexagonal shape to perform chest workout. If you are just starting out with resistant training and want to burn fat faster, you should go with it. These dumbbells are a cheaper option and are ideal for a basic fitness plan for your routine.
2. Aurion PVC Dumbbells For Home Gym Exercise Women & Men
The Aurion weight set comes in a plastic body for a daily workout with fixed weights for your fitness. It is made of durable PVC plastic and it prevents rust. It is available in a set of 2 dumbbells of 2 kg each. These dumbbells are made of PVC materials and they are long-lasting, lightweight, abrasion-resistant, tough and strong.
These are some of the technical benefits of these dumbbells. These dumbbells are available for both cardio and toning exercises for both arms workout in a set of two. This set is ergonomically designed for better and easy grip and it provides a better workout session.
Customer satisfaction has always been a high priority for Aurion. These weights are a good choice for endurance, strength, CrossFit and aerobic workouts at home gym for beginners and pro-level users. You can easily use them at the gym studio or class. These are PVC dumbbells for great non-slip grip during running or long sessions.
3. RUBX Rubber Coated Professional Exercise Hex Dumbbells (Pack of Two)
RUBX Dumbbells are the best six-sided professional hex dumbbells for fitness freaks. Whether you are just starting out with weight lifting or a pro who is working on strength training, you can go with these dumbbells as they are easy to carry, handle and operate. You need to work out constantly with these dumbbells at your home and get the well-toned body.
Products from RUBX are well known for their tailor-made and unique design to meet your exercise routine as well as efficiency in exercise. These dumbbells can help you in constant workouts to improve your performance and stamina. It has been designed in the form of the hexagonal bell so it is easy to lift, load or carry for well-balanced workouts.
The best part of these dumbbells is that they don’t roll even when you place them on an uneven floor. When buying these dumbbells, you would also look at the grip and feel without any damage to the floor when it is kept or dropped. It has authentic virgin rubber material to avoid damage from being slippery and it has enhanced grip to prevent injuries.
It has encased heads to limit wear and tear to both your flooring and the bells and reduce noise. Bells are also covered in virgin rubber so they are easy to store.
4. Kore PVC-DM COMBO16 Home Gym Dumbbells Kit
Get ready to have a well-toned body with Kore Home Gym Dumbbells Kit. You can get a set of complete gym equipment that can serve several purposes at your own convenience. This gym set has different types of dumbbells and weights for a total workout. There is no need to have a trainer to use them. These sturdy equipment are built to make your gym sessions even more amazing.
This combo features 4 weight plate pairs from Kore. With these weight plates, you can stabilize your muscles and lift more weight. All in all, it makes you more effective for overall power and muscle strength. It has 14” dumbbell rods which are easy to balance weights and hold well on either side. So, users can easily perform weight training. These dumbbells definitely come with nuts and hold weights well to avoid injury.
5. Protoner 10kg Adjustable Dumbbells with String Bag
Fitness and workouts are going to be the most vital part of the daily routine of many fitness enthusiasts. Protoner 10kg adjustable dumbbells and home gym set come with different workout equipment to meet your daily workout needs. The gym set features different types of skipping rope, weights, wrist bands, gym gloves, and bars for a total workout. You may try different exercises with ease and add them to your routine with this set.
The best part of the Protoner Home gym set is that you can try out different levels of fitness training and workout. From hand workout to lifting and dumbbell exercise, you can choose the right item and you are all set. This gym set includes different types of weight plates, dumbbells and bars. These weights can be helpful in different workout levels as well as endurance training in your gym or home.
6. Aurion Set of 2 Chrome Dumbbell with Soft Padded Cushion Handles
Aurion Set of 2 Chrome Dumbbells is chromed and round-shaped with a soft cushion padded side which looks great. These dumbbells look nice and fit well in your workout routine. These dumbbells have got an appealing look to match your gym décor or home.
It is made with heavy-duty material for daily use. It has soft padded handles for a great non-slip grip. Aurion chrome steel dumbbells are finished nicely for strength training and fitness routine. These are well built for athletes, club and home use, and for studio and professional use.
You can even use them for various exercises and tone down various muscle groups like chest, arms, and back.
7. SportSoul Vinyl Dumbbell
SportSoul Vinyl Dumbbell is must-have fitness equipment for your home gym. Now you can look good and get fit with this sleek and stylish fitness product for women and entry levels. These are the lighter dumbbells making it easier to do pilates, power walking, aerobics, power yoga and kickboxing. You can use these lighter dumbbells for different conditioning and strength workouts.
These dumbbells are best for both beginners and women. They are made of the best quality cast iron with a great vinyl coating. It features an anti-slip grip and it can also avoid damage to your floor. It has got compact and ergonomic design making it ideal for home workout. These dumbbells are widely used for endurance and strength.
8. Aurion Fitness PVC Dumbell Set Combo Home Gym
Aurion Fitness PVC Dumbbell set is the brand new set comes with 14” rods that are ideal to use in a gym, home or for light commercial use and professionals. It is the best choice for bone health, muscle workout, and bodybuilding. It is designed especially for upper body workout to improve jerk and snatch skills. It is made of top quality metal with rust-proof chrome finish. It has grips with 1” diameter and it fits weight plates of 1 inch.
It has got curled design which comes with angled grips to reduce pressure on your elbows and wrists. It comes with pair of free spin which locks well for secure knurled sections to ensure medium depth for fine grip. It prevents deformation or warping with smooth sleeves.
9. Aurion Dumbbells for Home Gym Exercises
We don’t have time to hit the gym in our fast-paced, day to day life. This weight set by Aurion has the best answer to this problem. You can get the perfect workout in the comfort of your home. Its minimalist and compact design makes it an ideal companion for your personal fitness to perform speedy weightlifting workouts at your home to target areas like triceps, biceps, and a lot of core muscle groups.
It is the best-selling multi-use, entry-level dumbbell set ideal for beginners who want to go through different emotions as well as weight training movements. These dumbbells are made of solid concrete filling covered in a vinyl coating to reduce noise and damage due to the impact on the flooring by dropping it.
10. Bodygrip Dumbbell Set Combo, 12kg
BodyGrip Dumbbell set is ideal for those who are just starting out in workout. There is no rusting on the rods as well as metal nuts that hold their weight. The plates are made of heavy-duty plastic and are sealed perfectly. Whatever they have, you can keep them inside. You can easily make the combinations as per your needs.
How to Choose the Best Dumbbells for Your Home Gym?
You can choose from different types of dumbbells, with different shapes, colors, systems and sizes. There are three types of dumbbells when it comes to systems, as discussed above. Before going to buy dumbbell online, you need to consider a type of dumbbell for your needs.
There are two different shapes of dumbbells to look for – rounded end and hexagonal end. These are used for different purposes. If you want to drop the dumbbell on the ground after using it, you should go for dumbbell with a hexagonal end. It keeps dumbbell from causing damage by rolling off. If you keep the dumbbell in the rack just after use, you can go with a rounded end.
3. Grip and Handle
You also need to consider the dumbbell’s grip. Dumbbells also come with a smooth grip and it could slide during the session. If there is a rough grip, it couldn’t be easy on your hand. The dumbbell should have the right shape, size and texture to feel perfect and serve the purpose of bodybuilding well.
Dumbbells should also be shaped well to fit your hand. The ideal diameter of a dumbbell must be around 1 inch. Higher weight dumbbell can easily go well around 2 inches by diameter. If the diameter of a dumbbell is off the range, you should look for others.
It is another important factor to keep in mind. You need to test with ideal weight, especially when you are looking for a fixed dumbbell. If you can just carry 40kg dumbbell, why look for 100kg one? You just have to lift smaller weights first till you level up, especially if you are new in weight training.
You can use the dumbbells for upper body strength, curls, as well as the entire body strength. You need to figure out what weight you would want to get. You need to consider the maximum limit of your body and buy dumbbell which is a bit on the higher side in terms of weight as compared to your max limit.
You have to figure out where you want to keep your dumbbells and how much space you have in those areas. If you are prepping your home for a workout, it would take a huge space. If you are buying some equipment to place in your living area, you can go with smaller ones.
If you are doing a workout in your garage, you can buy a dumbbell rack and fixed weights because you would have enough space. If you have congested living space, you can go for an adjustable dumbbell.
A dumbbell made of metal is most likely to be plated with plastic, chrome or vinyl. You can go for chrome dumbbells as they are more durable as compared to plastic ones, no matter where you are going to use them. Rubber coated dumbbells can absorb impacts and produce sounds. So, you have to keep it in mind when buying dumbbells.
You should also consider the material which handles are made of. Dumbbells are cross-hatched to make perfect grip even in case of sweat. It would be of the best choice if you go for a metal dumbbell. But handle will have no knurling if it is made of vinyl. But the material also serves the same function. Whether you choose knurled handles or not is up to the material used. All you need to choose the one which suits your needs the most.
There are some additional accessories you would like to buy with the dumbbell to make your workout session even smoother.
Here are some of the common examples:
- Gloves – If you are going to work out constantly and getting involved with dumbbell more, you might have calluses and blisters. To make it easier to lift, dumbbells have a textured grip as per the weight. But you still need to protect your hands with gloves.
- Bench – If you are going to use a dumbbell bench, you may have to work hard on the chest and shoulders, while lying your legs down on the floor. You need to push weights just up and keep them at level with shoulder and drop back to the level of your body. A bench can help you achieve this level.
- Mats – It can cause a lot of damage if you suddenly drop weight on the floor. So, you should have mats to resist impact. These mats can deal with the weight impact in case they are dropped. Be sure to choose the mats which are made of dense rubber which must be around 1 inch thick. You can also get the mats that come with a thicker width that can dampen the sound from the drop and protect the floor.
By considering all these things, you are all set to buy the best set of dumbbells which can make you look as fit as you can. So, consider the list of our best picks to choose from.
There are plenty of fitness benefits of using dumbbells during the workout session and it is very simple to manage, keep, have and maintain as compared to a barbell. Just like buying any product, you have to consider a lot of things to choose the best dumbbell.
You need to choose the one which would meet your needs, not only the one that looks appealing. To narrow down a huge range of dumbbells, we have listed some of our best picks to make it easier for you.
Check out some other interesting models available at the market right now:
- Set of 2 dumbbells for strength training
- Rubber coated cast-iron, solid built
- High quality rubber used in construction of product
- Care-free floor grip due to hexagonal shape
- For customer service please contact us: [91-98-455-02244] (available Monday to Saturday from 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM except national holidays)
- Aurion hand weights dumbbells for strength endurance aerobic cross fit home gym training suitable for beginners and experienced user
- Pvc weights these hand weights are pvc dumbbells offer excellent non slip grip, which heavily increase grip during long or running session
- Hand weights dumbbells exercise dumbbells are undoubtedly one of the most popular pieces of fitness equipment ever made
- They are one of the basic tools of the strength training trade and form part of millions of people's workouts around the world on a regular basis
- Good protection keeping the flooring from being damaged
- 🏋️♀️ PUMP CAST IRON DUMBBELL: Kick start Fitness Goals with this Cast-Iron Core Technologically Built Rubber Hex Dumbbell Pro Series targeting either the core muscle groups or full body workouts getting maximum resistance from each session for both men and women
- 🏋️♀️ STRONG HOLD NON-SLIP GRIP HANDLE: Contoured Metal Chrome Finish Handle with Knurled Grip is designed Ergonomically giving it a strong hold Non-Slip Grip to safely perform each exercise and minimize any potential risk of body injury
- 🏋️♀️ PROTECT YOUR HOME-GYM FLOOR: Hexagonal Dumbbell is fully Encased with Premium Natural Soft Rubber to protect and minimize any damage to the floor surface. The Anti-Roll Design hexa design helps it from rolling away while exercising and keeps for easy storage in the home gym set or other exercise setting
- 🏋️♀️ NO MORE EXCUSES: LOCKDOWN GYMS CLOSED? Just Scan the QR Code on the box and Download the E-BOOK that INCLUDES 25+ EDUCATIONAL EXERCISES; This E-Book is designed to suit any beginner, intermediate or professional. The Intensity level is medium making it easier to get started on the fitness goals at home, gym or outdoor environment
- 🏋️♀️ RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: Hexagonal Dumbbells are widely used by Professionals, Trainers and Commercial Gyms & Clubs. This Box contain: 1 Hex Dumbbell 5kg SOLD INDIVIDUALLY. Order 2 QTY to make 10kg dumbbells set.
- 16 kg of PVC weight (2 kg x 8 = 16Kg)
- 1 x 3 feet curl rod + 2 x 14 inch dumbbell rods
- 2 locks and clippers comes with the rods
- It is highly durable and long lasting
- A perfect muscle builder
- Included Components: Two 2.5kg rubber coated round dumbbells
- Build strength, burn fat, and create a shapely body with Klikfit. The round heads are perfect for doing overhead triceps extensions with plenty of surface area to comfortably place your hands underneath and other dumbbell workouts
- Incorporating dumbbells are perfect for isolations, full body, functional and HIIT workouts; Adding resistance to your workout routine will help shed fat and build muscle faster
- Material: Rubber; Color: Black; Size - Item Length: 21cm, Item Width: 22cm, Item Height: 11cm; Item Weight: 5kg
- Dumbbells offer the ability to target specific muscle groups or perform a full body workout; Use smaller weights for upper body exercises and switch to heavier weights for lower body exercises